Our client is a multi-national logistics organization providing exceptional logistics capability across a complex network of sea, air, and road transport. They operate with a highly transient workforce and a large volume of sub-contracting companies with high-risk transport functions that require heavy regulation and chain of responsibility compliance.
Find a digital solution that can manage the many layers of compliance involved in safe onboarding, and offboarding, employees, contractors, visitors, or even volunteers. The platform also needs to facilitate business units that work across regions, states, and countries, some with conflicting regulatory requirements.
Ensuring new employees, contractors, visitors, and volunteers are able to be safely inducted, insured, trained, and qualified. Make it less painful to comply, not only for front-line personnel but for those external companies and workers ready to engage with the business.
Best practice speed to compliance options that comply with all regulations and business rules.
Permit to Work at BNE is critical. It is a highly security-focused environment that operates 24/7 and the solution needed to provide absolute visibility of adherence to regulation, licensing, qualifications, competency, and inductions.
Identify a single cloud-based software system to manage onboarding, licenses, and insurance for 3PL contractors. An easy-to-access and easy-to-use portal /interface for end-users, including full mobile functionality to manage Work Orders, and related safety compliance activities in one place.
- A single cloud-based software system to manage onboarding, licenses, and insurance for 3PL contractors.
- An easy-to-access and easy-to-use portal /interface for end users, including full mobile functionality to manage related safety compliance activities in one place.
- Comprehensive, real-time reporting.
- Clear, ‘traffic light’ system to provide a visual indication of compliance with legislation and the internal compliance framework.
- Visibility of non-conformance and improvement opportunities.
- Proactive, automated process review and improve workflow
Our client started this project with 3 top priorities.
- Automate, automate, automate
- Ensure all complex compliance requirements are catered for
- Ease of use to encourage participation
Together with the experienced Beakon Implementation Team, our client mapped their layers of compliance. Starting with legislative requirements, then in-house HSE requirements, site-specific, right through to the granular level of role-based regulations, all compliance activities were captured.
The Beakon team then configured the workflow, reminders, and updates based on the mapped compliance data, to provide maximum automation and minimum data entry/duplication. Once configured, all onboarding requirements automatically populated based on a user’s profile, providing an easy-to-use ‘real time’ portal to upload documentation (licenses, certificates, insurances) complete inductions, and training.
- Automatic notifications for both the worker and the business helped our client keep the process on track and responsive.
- Automatic scoring of learning items including inductions, and SWPs, ensures our client captured activity and competency without including another touchpoint.
- Automatic, real-time updating of compliance status, including visualization and language, ensures one source of truth for the whole organization.
Automatic workflows, escalations, and notifications using default OOTB logic removed the repetitive on/off-boarding administrative processes for our clients and provided a genuine streamlining for a constantly changing, transient workforce.
This project genuinely removed the laborious administrative elements of workforce management allowing our client to focus on the critically important ‘on the job’ leadership.
Advice For Others
If you have a tight timeframe to implement, get the fundamentals right and adopt a staged approach using most functionality ‘Out of the Box’. Fortuitously, Beakon’s off-the-shelf framework is ISO-based giving you a real ‘rapid implementation’ option.
Beakon does all the heavy lifting to ensure only compliant (licensed, insured, trained, capable) workers are engaged to work on-site and we make it simple, logical, and easy to do so.
Upfront, design workshops, give your team an opportunity to consider all aspects of workforce management that may otherwise be overlooked and it also provides the opportunity to make decisions that will future-proof the system through further expansion when required.