Our client is a multi-national underground mining organisation working with remote and offshore locations. Highly regulated, it is essential they meet, ever increasing, stringent legislative requirements in a high-risk environment.
- Finding an agile solution to identify, in real-time, the most appropriately compliant and qualified contractors to suit Work Orders raised via a Procurement Platform.
- Our client also aspired to have the solution automatically identify any ‘permit to work’ obligations, together with administration of the two-way workflow.
- The solution needed to provide access to Work Orders across their entire contracting workforce (over 10,000) and include off-line capability.
- Identifying a software solution that could support their teams in the field, while giving real time visibility to Safety Leaders was imperative.
- A single cloud-based software system to manage onboarding, licenses, and insurances for 3PL contractors.
- An easy-to-access and easy-to use portal /interface for end users, including full mobile functionality to manage Work Orders, and related safety compliance activities in the one place.
- Electronic High-Risk Work Management, Work Permitting, and Safety Management.
- Comprehensive, real-time reporting.
- Clear, ‘traffic light’ system to provide visual indication of compliance to legislation and the internal compliance framework.
- Visibility of non-conformance and improvement opportunities.
- Proactive, automated process review and improvement workflow.
Conscious that Beakon delivers OOTB best practice as an ISO compliant framework, our client elected to initially use Beakon with minimal customisations, deploying the system to a live environment and making changes as required. Even in it’s OOTB form, Beakon manages all compliance, contractor management and high-risk permit to work requirements, with a very user-friendly interface.
As the business embraced the new Beakon system we further developed the capability with a robust, clear, simple to use interface with Maximo. This proved to be highly successful, taking the implementation from useful to truly value-adding.
The interface took the guesswork out the Work Order allocation process. Using ‘AI’, Beakon provided ‘real-time’ best matched contractors based on compliance, qualifications and ratings.
Further improving the process, Beakon then automatically identified any High-Risk permit requirements based on the Work Order content itself.
Our client had a very tight timeframe to implement the Beakon system.
Whilst the implementation timeline was a challenge, it was important to get the fundamentals right, and adopt a staged approach which meant using most functionality ‘Out of the Box’.
Fortuitously, Beakon’s off-the shelf framework is ISO-based and very robust and in the end, our client found this more than met their base-level requirements.
Clear communication on goals meant Beakon was able to deliver beyond initial expectations, providing automated workflows and optimising an existing asset (Maximo) through a best practice interface.
With Beakon doing all the heavy lifting to ensure only compliant (licensed, insured, trained, capable) contractors can be allocated to a Work Order, together with driving the safety process with automatic creation of Electronic Permits to Work for high-risk activities it was highly successful project.