When you manage a project on a construction site, it makes sense to have project management software to help you out. Task Management software falls under that – it helps construction teams manage their tasks and stay on top of their timelines.
So, we’re delving into the top reasons that so many construction managers and teams swear by task management software.
What Is Task Management Software?
Task management software does exactly what it says on the tin – manages tasks so that you know exactly where your construction site is at. Some of the key features of task management software are:
- Task allocation – Start allocating and actioning tasks as soon as decisions are made.
- Work in real time – Create tasks, assign tasks, set due dates, and task requirements or instructions before you’ve left the meeting room.
- Meet deadlines: Keep projects on track and tracking
- Manage dispersed teams – Keep on track of your team wherever they are
- Access important documents wherever you are: Beakon software uses fully responsive design so it works on all devices, including smartphones and tablets. Using cloud-based storage, your files and documents are accessible wherever you are, whenever you need them. Keep everybody on track and on schedule!
- Custom software that is quick and easy to manage
Why Should Task Management Be Used In Construction?
Task management should be used in many industries, but in construction especially. Why? Because construction involves managing a huge number of tasks that are essential to finishing a project on time. Many construction businesses struggle to have control over their project without task management systems, whether they are digital or paper-based.
Knowing exactly what is going on throughout your project is essential, and the top reasons that task management should be used in construction are:
Real time communication that suits the fast pace of a construction site
If you work on a construction site, you’ll know that things are constantly changing. While it is essential to have a plan and a timeline, we all know that the slightest change can have a knock on effect.
This is where task management is essential in construction, as it enables teams to stay in contact in real time. This means that if there are changes to tasks, owners of tasks, or timelines that everyone is kept in the loop.
A great example would be if a concreter calls in sick for 2 days right before a tight deadline. Say for instance that concrete needs time to dry, and no other work can continue until the concrete is down. This is going to have a knock on effect that will impact the timing of other tasks within the business. Task management software will inform people of the changes, alter their tasks, adjust timelines and ensure that your business doesn’t lose money because of last minute changes. Real time communication is a game changer.
Budgeting and forecasting
Task management software not only allows you to project manage more effectively, it also helps construction teams manage their costs and budget better. With a clear list of tasks completed, and tasks to be completed, construction workers can better assess internal and external costs and any changes.
Plus, having historical cost performance analysis at your fingertips means that you can call upon past costing at any time to improve forecasting. Having this knowledge at your fingertips means that construction teams that establish fairer and more consistent bid prices, manage jobs and deliver the succinct accounts and expenses associated with every task.
A happier workforce
The above points speak to running an effective and profitable business, however having task management software in place also has softer benefits that can boost performance. These benefits affect the people who work for you, and include:
- More streamlined task management resulting in fewer conflicts
- Less pressure to remember task information, with a system that allows workers to input in real-time
- Lowered risk of error with collaborative documents that can be audited by various members of the team
- Lowered risk of losing vital task information with a backlog of historical data that builds up online
- Reduced stress when it comes to filing, taking care of and getting sign offs on physical document
- An overall happier, more productive workforce who feel supported by the company they work for
Better opportunity to expand and grow
Without these solid task management systems in place, construction businesses struggle to expand and grow. Task management is often the first step in business expansion, as it enables construction companies to work more efficiently and in turn, take on more work.
Having a task management system with flexible features that suit your business at every stage is essential, as your priorities and needs will change as you scale up. Task management software helps construction teams manage more projects, more effectively which offers you more opportunity to expand and grow.
For more information on task management software, discover Beakon’s offering for yourself with our free trial. Alternatively to learn more about similar software that benefits construction sites with our article on the benefits of audit management software.